Saturday, April 19, 2008

Yum! A recipe!

These are the yummiest cookies ever. If not yummier.

They are called Tahini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and I have no idea where I got the recipe, but my confidential source got it from Eating Well magazine, March 2005. I felt like I should disclose that, although none of the 4 people who read this will probably turn me in for ripping off a recipe.

On to the recipe. In Pioneer Woman fashion, I took pictures. Really just because I thought that would be fun. Not because you really need to see how to make cookies. Because if you did need help, learning from me would NOT be a good idea. I do not bake. In fact, I recently managed to mess up The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever. which I had made twice with no problem. Pride cometh before a bad sheet cake.

So anyway, back to the cookies. My pictures didn't turn out so well. But here are a couple, although they don't really help you. If I had light other than "fluorescent" in my kitchen, it would help. But you do get to see my loverly countertops, which I can only assume were bottom-of-the-line back in 1955. And that should make someone thankful for their own counter-tops. I'm not jealous. Really.

The Ingredients:

IMG_0381a

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup ap flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup tahini
4 tbsp butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

If you look closely, you'll see that I left the granulated sugar out of the picture, which I didn't realize until I was downloading pictures. Fortunately, my very own sugar requested a picture with the 'green-dients, so technically, this one does include sugar :-)

IMG_0384a

...and also shows off the "chrome" on the countertops. Making you a little more jealous than you were before.

Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Mix together oats, flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.

IMG_0391a

Beat tahini and butter together until blended. Add sugars and beat until well combined. Add in egg, egg white and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Stir in oat mixture until nearly incorporated, then add in chocolate chips (and optional nuts). Do not over mix.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.

I personally love this medium scoop from Pampered Chef. Or the large one if you want big ol' gourmet-looking cookies.

IMG_0395a

Bake for 10-12 minutes (or 15 minutes for a crispy cookie), until golden brown at the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 4 dozen.

I'm not sure what microscopic size cookies you would have to make to get 4 dozen, but with the medium scoop, I get about 2 dozen. And I bake mine for 10 minutes because I like a gooey cookie.

Let's talk mixers for a moment. I got my hand mixer for a wedding gift and it has served me well. Except now I can only find one beater. So there was much chasing of the 'green-dients around the bowl today. Again, those of you with one of these, I am not jealous. At all.

IMG_0397a

Tahini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup ap flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup tahini
4 tbsp butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk together oats, flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
Beat tahini and butter together until blended. Add sugars and beat until well combined. Add in egg, egg white and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Stir in oat mixture until nearly incorporated, then add in chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes (or 15 minutes for a crispy cookie), until golden brown at the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 4 dozen.

4 comments:

Deaton, party of 5 said...

Yummy, when can we come over =)! You've been tagged. Check out my blog for details.

Amy said...

Did you bring these to church yesterday? I had a cookie that seemed like these and was very tasty.
If I had pictures of my countertops, you could see where we had to rip off the little backsplash piece and haven't gotten it fixed yet. I think it rivals the chrome.
I can't beat the one beater mixer though.

Teresa Kimbel said...

Yes, I will probably bake them because that's just what I like to do. How on earth do you have time to bake with Jack asking you so many questions, have two more children and one on the way??????????? You really are supermom.

If you have time, you have been tagged and need to go to my blog to see what to do. Hope you don't mind doing this. I tagged your mom and she's already done it.

Keep blogging!

p.s. I'm working on the new blog I asked you about and it's going to be maybe a two parter, because it's going to be long. Thanks for giving me the "fodder".

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a great recipe...I've never in my life bought tahini, but I'll try it (if I can find tahini here...I probably can...you wouldn't believe how many foods that we consider "specialty items" you can find on the shelves of grocery stores here in Tegucigalpa!)

By the way...have you asked Jack if he knows where the other beater is??? Chances are good that he has used it as a sword in the past and left it outside! :)

Love as always,

Mama